Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Settled on an Oncologist

Hi All,
Just giving you an update. BTW, it's much easier for me to email than to talk on the phone. Especially since I caught a cold on Saturday.

The oncologist we met with todaywas excellent. Her practice specializes in breast cancer which is 60-70% of what she sees. I liked her more than the Stanford tumor board. She was thorough and pointed out a couple things that even the Stanford guy didn't. Which was that there was a spot on my right breast in the mamogram that they dismissed as benign and so she's going to look at that closer with the further tests I will be taking. (CT, MRI) Plus, she's going to get permission from the insurance co. to cover a blood test to rule out the Ashkenazi gene. Being that my mom had it and I'm under 50, (barely), it gives me a 12% risk of having the gene. 10% risk and the insurance company will pay for it. Anyway, that would just mean a double mastectomy - which would settle my mind since dealing with just one breast seems like it could be a total drag.... Yes, I know, I don't need to make all these decisions right now, but that has been on my mind.

So, I'm looking forward to getting appointments for the CT scan, bonescan, and MRI to rule out any nodules being anywhere else in my body. I should get those tests done within the next week. And then I get to meet with the surgeon this Friday. Supposedly he does the most breast surgeries in this town. Plus, according to my oncologist, she's heard he's got good bedside manner.

Anyway, that's the update and I'm feeling better now that I've got someone like my doc overlooking my case. She spent a lot of time with us. We were in her office from 2:30 - 5. As we were waiting, I kept having to remind Geoff that she'll spend as much time with us as she was doing with whoever she was taking her time with before she got to us!

So, thanks again for all your thoughts, prayers and offers of support.
Melissa

No comments: