Monday, May 3, 2010

Humility

I've been feeling so weird since the last update I sent out and I'm so glad to see it didn't go out to everyone.

I love to share what I learn about the Jewish path to everyone because I feel it's the antidote to the Holocaust and all anti-Semitism. I want to shout that I am proud to be Jewish! And I am proud of Israel. And I am proud of the Jewish teachings.

And I use the holidays to help me understand my day - to - day struggles. I find it so amazing that I was diagnosed on the week between Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur!!!

So I never want to seem like I think no other religious path has it's purpose on this earth. I don't want to seem like I'm looking down on all other religions. I'm just wanting to put down in writing what I am learning from the Jewish path. There is a place for all of us on this earth and a unique purpose that I believe will help build the final redemption. Yes, I believe in the only One Invisible G-d that contains everything and everyone. That doesn't mean I believe that anyone else should believe that too.

Judaism has never believed that everyone should be Jewish and in fact, it's very hard to become Jewish if you weren't conceived and cooked in a Jewish woman's body. Rabbi's practice is to turn away wanna be converts. Not because this is an exclusive club, but because the rigors of the practice are so complex and numerous. It's supposed to be very hard work that we've been chosen to do. But that doesn't mean we are better than everyone else. In fact, the joke is, "I wish He'd choose somebody else sometimes."

It's not easy being Jewish. And it's wonderous.

I believe all paths lead to the same Place. Truly it's semantics that gets our knickers in a twister! What do you mean by G-d? What do you mean by redemption? What do you mean by getting close to G-d?

You'll see in the Noahide laws there is no law stating you must have one and only one god.

Anyway, I never want to seem like I think I'm better than everyone else. Even other Jews. My path can be different from another Jew as well. And I love that Bailly never wears pants and yet she could tell me to get another pair of the pants I showed her I got from Costco that fit me so well!!!! And I love that D'vora Leah could say how much she likes my new curly hair despite the fact she'd never go without her head covered in a wig or sheitle. We are all different and all Beloved.

That is what Rabbi Hillel said that the entire Torah is based on - only one law: "What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow; that is the whole Law: all the rest is interpretation."

No comments: