Monday, January 26, 2009

The Rabbi's Answer

I asked my rabbi to look at my post from last week: "Enjoying Life" and to please give me the Jewish answer to the question of where G-d's plan ends and my will begins. For example, is this disease my fault? And if it was G-d's plan, then what does "Tract gut vet zein gut" (think good and it will be good) have to do with my being able to control outcomes when G-d's controlling everything?

This is what he wrote me back to answer my questions (through email):

Rabbi Yochanan Friedman
to me

Hi allison,

Sorry for the delayed response.

In any case, here are my thoughts.

You know the joke about the fellow who is caught in a flood but refuses all the help that comes by saying, “G-d will help.” He dies in the flood and comes before G-d with a complaint. “Why didn’t you save me? I believed in you!” And G-d says, “I sent you three boats and a helicopter! Why didn’t you take them?”

An oldie but goodie and it's even relevant to this discussion.

So, here are my $0.02.

For starters, there are two words that are never appropriate in this discussion. They are “if only”.

If only I had had better thoughts…. If only I had gone to a different doctor…. If only I had been more religious… These two words are inappropriate because they are completely untrue, almost blasphemous. And this is where the joke is just a joke.

“If only” means that I think G-d may have intended for there to be a different outcome but I ruined His plans with my mistakes. That’s not possible. That’s taking far too much credit. “But how do I know it’s not my fault”? Well, you can repent for any poor choices you may have made. But that doesn’t change the fact that what was is exactly what was meant to be. Any pain that I had – provided it is in the past – was certainly meant to be.

The better question is what about the future? Can I influence the outcome from here on?

It is true that all that happens is G-d’s will. Nothing can happen outside of His plan. It is also true, as you write, that “tracht gut vet zein gut” – positive thought creates positive outcome. How do the two work in harmony?

You see, the “Tracht gut” method is no different than, say, going to a doctor or taking a vitamin. In G-d’s plan there are many ‘conduits’ for health. Good health can come through exercise or through the right supplements. Good health can also come through surgery or other more painful means. In much the same way, health can come in the merit of giving charity or through the blessing of a Tzaddik – or, by creating that health in your mind.

Different situations demand different actions to solve particular problems. Which action – or what combination of actions – will be the right solution for my particular circumstance? And how is that determined? The answer to that is, that’s where we defer to Divine providence. That is indeed predetermined.

In other words, whether you’ll be saved by the boat or the helicopter is not in your hands. You have to take the solution that Divine providence has set for you. How do you know which one it is destined to be? Well, you don’t. You just try your best and give every responsible option a try.

So, bottom line: Have a good doctor, eat well, take your vitamins and “Tracht gut” – and then “vet zein gut.” Why? Because any one of those could be the ‘vehicle’ through which G-d intends to deliver your good results.

I would expect that all this creates three questions for every one answered. But that’s the Jewish way. Let’s keep studying, and enjoy the journey as much as we hope to enjoy the destination.

I look forward to your feedback.

Best wishes and Zei gezunt!

Yochanan

No comments: