Saturday, November 8, 2008

Slept All Day

My surgery went well and Doris waited for me in the hospital for 3 1/2 hours! She must have arrived just as I was going into surgery because I slept in the recovery room for 1 1/2 hours after a 1 1/2 hour surgery. Wow, your throat gets really dry and you have to cough a lot of stuff up after that.

I got in bed once I got home at 8:30pm and Aimee made me tea and brought me some applesauce. I barely got the tea down and popped my Vicoden (thanks to Lee, my mother-in-law, I didn't have to go to Longs for that on the way home) and slept until 3am when I finally ate the applesauce! Then I slept until 3:30pm when I got up and had Jason warm up some of the soup Doris made us...YUM! The kids already ate half of it before I could get to it. And there were only 2 slices left of the challah that Liz brought us but I enjoyed every bite. And Glenna's bringing us food on Monday and we hope it isn't too spicy. (Her family loves peppers! So I'm dropping the hint now to you all. I think peppers are good for bad cells but my family members have soft tummies.)

Still, I'm not totally sure that I'll get chemo on Monday since the surgeon told me that my oncologist wants the biopsy results in order to know what chemo to give me. And she probably won't have them by Monday. So we'll see what happens when we see her on Monday at 9am. Tomorrow I have 4 clients in a row from 1:30 to 5:30. I think I'll be ok for that but wondering...I just hope no one wants a hug!

Anyway, thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. I'm doing fine and recovering nicely. I so appreciated my surgeon for insisting on Dominican making the effort to get something delivered from San Jose in time yesterday so I could get the surgery yesterday instead of waiting until next week. It was perfect timing for me because I had such a great sleep the night before thinking I wasn't going to have surgery the next day!

The radioactive dye was injected in 4 places around the lump at 11am so that by 4pm, they could see which lymph node the breast drains into for the biopsy. Geoff held my hand during the injections at 11. I told him, "Don't you want to pull up a chair and sit down for this?" He told me no, because then he wouldn't be able to see what's going on! So as long as he keeps his joking to a minimum, I don't mind having him along. His hand is definitely more comforting to me than some nurse’s I don't even know.

Maybe I'll end up wanting him to hold my hand for the first chemo too... We'll see.

No comments: